Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Still eating through our grains....BUT

 I had to go grocery shopping today, bc all we had left were grains and a bare frig/freezer!!!  I vowed that I would not buy any more grains to add to our vast stockpile we are going through.  I ended up spending 240 dollars and I got:

chicken wings
chicken breasts
boneless chicken (for me, I don't do bones yuck thankfully kids aren't as picky as I am!)
ground beef
hamburger
swordfish steak
shark
battered fish (I am so weak last time for that!)
HUGE pork loin (which will be cut up into 3 pieces for 3 different meals)
different kinds of cheese
6 dozen eggs (not even a weeks worth for us!)
plain yogurts
frozen berries (to mix into plain yogurts)
almonds
sunflower seeds
pumpkin seeds
peppers (green and red)
tomatoes
cauliflower
broccoli
cantelope
celery
baby carrots
fresh green beans
iceburg lettuce
mixed salad greens
baby spinach
garlic
bananas
grapes
broccoli
cream cheese
extra virgin olive oil
balsamic vinegar
sour cream
butter
string cheese
beef jerky
lunchables (YEAH I KNOW....it was nearing lunch time and I have no good excuse except they are quick)
one box of triscuits (my favorite cracker A GRAIN...my lash horrah to go with my last horrah diet caffeine free coke)


So all in all, I think I did pretty good...Doug is going to go out and get some more fresh fruit (like strawberries and apples) and some milk.  I am calling this next week and a half as our transition period.  Doug and I are going to ditch the grains as much as we can, but will continue to give kids a grain as a side while we eat through the rest of our stockpile.  But just the grains we already have...and if they are hungry for a snack, they will now get offered baby carrots, peppers or celery with cream cheese or peanut butter.  Caden just asked for a snack, and when I told him his options, he turned up his nose and decided he wasn't hungry after all.  Yeah, did I mention this was going to be a BIG challenge for my kids-they are HUGE grain eaters, as our my husband and I! 

Have I told you how weird it is shopping when you don't shop for any grains?  Pretty much I went around the perimeter of store...veggies, fruits, fresh  meats, dairy, frozen (fruit).  Yeah, I didn't have to go up or down any aisles at all.  Crazy!!! 

Have been reading more and will try to give a brief synopsis of what I have read a little later today...its back to schooling and learning about chicks for us at the moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment